1.22.2014

2014 WINTER STEELHEAD ON THE OREGON COAST

2014 WINTER STEELHEAD KICKOFF

Written By Deschutes Angler Guide Alex Gonsiewski


Another steelhead season has come and gone on the Deschutes. It is time for those of us that can not imagine a month where we do not swing flies for our anadromous love affair, to look else where. With that in mind I am happy to announce that once again winter steelhead season on the Oregon coast is here and I have guide days still available. I had a great year out there last season and I have been looking forward to this season since it ended. You do not have to look outside the state of Oregon for a shot at a mint bright 20lb steelhead. I was lucky enough to travel to the Dean this summer and though there is no place on earth like it. I must say that the coastal winter steelhead are almost as powerful.  These fish love to show you your backing and are often covered in sea lice. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. And that is not always easy on your own.  



I have been fishing the rivers along the Oregon coast since I was a little kid and it is the winter season that gets me most excited. For me swollen river and rain forests are synonymous with steelhead. The weight of the take from a winter steelhead is like no other. There is no mistaking it for anything else and no way to duplicate it any other time of year. If you live by the motto, the tug is the drug you owe yourself this trip. 

I have made a several R&D trips out there so far this year and it is promising to be a good one. Though I have yet to hold a fish in my hands several have been hooked. If only for a second.





The premier time is fast approaching and I have limited days available in February, March and April. If you are interested in booking a trip or would like some more information about my winter steelhead program give me a call at the shop 541-395-0995 or drop me an email at alex@deachutesanglerguides.com. I can set you up with places to stay and eat and introduce you to what I consider to be one of the greatest steelhead regions in the world. You will not be disappointed by what the coast has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment