7.31.2013

PREPARING FOR ADVENTURE

Tying Flies

Written By Deschutes Angler Guide Alex Gonsiewski


I have been tying flies since I was a little kid. Next to fishing it is my favorite thing to do. It is my creative outlet. I enjoy tying both existing patterns and developing my own. There are certain patterns that have been developed over the years that are truly spectacular, they have mojo in and out of the water. Tying these flies is a joy, there is room for personal touches and interpretation but the foundation remains intact.

Constructing flies from the hook up is an entirely different animal. It is more a process of engineering than it is tying. Using the right materials in proper proportions is essential to creating a living breathing fly. Some patterns are a success, they move well in the water and are attractive to look at. Others will never see a river, they swim in our tank and are thrown in the garbage. Both the successes and failures teach me valuable lessons about fly design.

Amy and I are getting ready to leave for the Dean River this Friday. I feel grateful for the opportunity to see the Dean River and fish for its infamous steelhead. Needless to say I am very excited and I have been tying flies like a mad dog maniac for the past couple of months. Tying for a trip like this is a blast.

Each day I have tied flies. Some evenings after work I tie one or two. Other nights I have tied until the early hours of the morning. I had enough flies for this trip two weeks ago but I just kept tying.

Of course most of the flies will not see the water this trip. They will sit in the box looking good patiently awaiting their turn. I will tie a tube fly on one rod and a skater on the other and fish them with confidence. Because when it comes down to it the fly that fishes the best is the one that you fish with the most confidence.

We will be back next week with tales and photos of the river and hopefully its fish. I might even have a couple of flies left.



Get Adobe Flash player

3 comments:

  1. I could not have said it better myself. There are days that I am not sure which I like more, fishing or tying. Great looking box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/13/2013

    So? How was the trip. You guys have this fancy blog and you don't publish frequently. C'mon man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day we got back we launched the next morning for a three day camp trip. It's hard to keep up with the blog when we spend 90% of our time on the river "unplugged" We are going to post a nice trip report in a few days. There is a lot to write about.....

    ReplyDelete